Sunday, October 25, 2009

Biscuits for a Stranger

I was challenged this week to buy a coke for a stranger. My experience was not one I exactly planned for. I went to Macey's (the grocery store) to get some food for Sunday pot roast dinner. While I was in line I noticed a woman behind me with three items: brownies, chocolate chips, and biscuits. As I was purchasing my items I turned around and told the clerk that I would be purchasing hers too. The woman looked at me with the strangest look, probably wondering why in the world a stranger would buy her something. Her first reaction was to decline my offer three or four times, but I was very insistent. Her second reaction was to accept my offer but only hand me one item. She set the other two down claiming she did not need them anymore. I purchased the biscuits for her, she gave me a quick thanks and I was on my way. As I was walking out the door I glanced back and discovered her buying the other two items plus a pack of gum! I didn't know what to think when I saw that scene.

Prior to buying the drink I think I expected to be the person buying an item for a person standing on their last leg. You know those stories, the ones where people have to decide between food and bills and some stranger helps them. I somewhat expected this challenge to help me become that stranger. However, I was simply a stranger buying biscuits for another stranger. I'll never know the consequences of that action nor the impact it made. I do know that I felt great after the fact. For a moment in my busy life I was able to forget about my needs and help someone else. It was a defining moment.

1 comment:

  1. Question: How do you know that person was standing on their last leg? maybe she was just there buying 3 things that day.

    ReplyDelete