Monday, October 19, 2009

Back to the Basics

I took three midterms last week. Each one was difficult in its own way. During my finance test I wanted to crumble the test up, throw my desk, and run out screaming franticly. Its funny how teachers will give you study guides and problems to work out, but won't test you on that material. It seems to me that study guides should coincide with test material...but hey I'm not a teacher. After one of my tests I started to think about the methods teachers use to "measure" their students comprehension levels. I do not believe tests are the most efficient and effective measuring tool. It is almost a lazy way for teachers to evaluate their students. In some circumstances I believe tests are appropriate but not in all situations. When children are younger they gain the majority of their knowledge in class from their teachers. When they reach advanced academic stages teachers start to rely on books to teach the students. Now, in college students are required to gain the majority of their knowledge outside* class. It is for this reason that teachers give tests to evaluate their student’s knowledge level. Whatever happened to teachers taking a more hands-on approach? Some classes are too large for professors to do so, and that is circumstance. However, some classes are small enough where teachers can take a more hands on approach; yet, they rely more on the books to teach their students. I believe it is time that teachers realize the potential impact they have on their students learning process. It is time they take a hands-on approach. It is time students gain the majority of their knowledge in class, rather than outside class. Teachers have the responsibility of shaping the rising generation--knowledge is power.

No comments:

Post a Comment